Thursday, April 13, 2017

Full Plates Meal Plans + Chicken Enchiladas

We all have full plates. Trying to balance it all (family, work, extracurricular activities, etc.) is a job in and of itself. Usually putting more time and energy into one area means another area might lag behind.
 
 I truly enjoy cooking (the process, the presentation, etc.), but the planning sometimes makes my head spin. And don't even get me started on going to the grocery store. Does anyone else, without fail, always think they've finished their list only to realize they forgot that one essential ingredient that's on the other end of the store? Because that happens to me just about every time. And then I look like someone on Supermarket Sweep trying to grab that item in a rush so I can still pick up my oldest daughter from school on time! Yikes!
 
Likewise, trying to plan meals that my girls will also enjoy try is a full-time job. It's a miracle any of us actually get meals on the table at the end of the day.
 
Two Mississippi moms, Lacey and Sara, recognized the madness that oftentimes goes into meal planning and created Full Plates, a service that delivers kid friendly meal plans on a budget. Side note: Sara is one of my girlfriends from college, so I was even more excited to check out her new business venture!

Lacey (on the left) and Sara are the creators of Full Plates. And seriously, how cute are they?!

How it works:

When you sign up for Full Plates, (for only $12/month) you receive a weekly menu e-mailed to you. Each menu consists of five meals/recipes: a chicken dinner, a beef dinner, a pork dinner, a seafood or vegetarian dinner, and a bonus meal. Recipes and grocery lists are included, along with pertinent coupons that can be used at your local store!

One thing I especially loved about Full Plates was the fact that the grocery list was organized for me...which is something I never take the time to do myself! In other words, all of the produce items were grouped together; canned goods were grouped together; meats were grouped together, etc. So there was no back-tracking across the store! Yay!

I also appreciated the fact that all meals require 30 minutes or less to assemble, thus giving us more time with our families during what's for most the busiest time of day.

///

One thing I'm really bad at (which causes our grocery bill to be high) is planning meals for a week that use similar ingredients. Full Plates does this for you. So if you use cilantro for a recipe on Monday, you can expect to use it again on Wednesday. There's less waste this way, and it also means you only have to make one trip to the grocery store each week. And I've become the queen of going almost every day, and that's a title I'm ready to pass on.

We tried a week's worth of recipes and were truly so pleased. Life was easier, and I'm not exaggerating. Our family favorite from the week was hands-down the Chicken Enchiladas, and I'm sharing that recipe below!


Chicken Enchiladas
{Full Plates recipe}

3 (10 oz.) cans of enchilada sauce
1 (16 oz.) package shredded Mexican cheese
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded Rotisserie chicken
2 avocados
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the first tortilla. Place 1/3 cup chicken and a small handful of cheese on the edge of the tortilla and roll up. Place in baking dish, seam side down. (The corn tortillas may start to break apart but don't fret!) Repeat with remaining tortillas until the dish is full. Evenly pour remaining 2 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and top enchiladas with remaining cheese. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.

Freshly-squeezed lime juice, avocado slices, cilantro, and/or green onion make great garnishes. I served our enchiladas with green onion and next time will add a little dollop of sour cream too!

I think a simple green salad would be a perfect side. I quickly whipped up my favorite black beans to serve with our dinner. You can find that recipe here.

If you're interested in trying Full Plates (and you totally should!), check out their Facebook page here. Let them know I sent you! :)

///

Have y'all ever tried a menu service? Is meal planning tough for you too? Let me know in the comments!




No comments:

Post a Comment