Friday, November 17, 2017

Carmel Recap

Guys, I've finally put together a recap of our time in Carmel, California! I'm going to share the play-by-play below, but a little background first: I have to brag on my husband. He's worked for AT&T nearly 20 years and has been such a loyal, hardworking employee. He was named one of the top performers in his sector and location (Southeast) and was given this trip as a reward. Spouses were allowed to come too, so lucky me, huh?
 
This year's trip was to Carmel, and we stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach. It was the most beautiful resort. Our room overlooked the Pacific Ocean and the golf course, and we were seriously treated like royalty. I don't know that I've ever felt so special! Ha!
 
There's just something truly magical about California. Being close to the ocean is just good for your soul, I've determined.
 
It was good for Rob and me to have a trip just the two of us. We haven't done that since our honeymoon 8 years ago!
 
///
 
Parents gone wild about to leave Mississippi. It took 3 flights to reach our destination. A long day but well worth it!
 
 
The entrance to our resort.
 

The grounds were just gorgeous.
 
 
 

 
Our favorite spot was the outdoor area that overlooked the golf course and Pacific Ocean. There was a beautiful bar and lounging areas with fire pits (and blankets!). Everyone at the resort seemed to gather there around sunset to watch the sun go down and to hear the bagpiper who played every night.


The first night we had a welcome reception at the Pebble Beach Golf Academy. The scenery was beautiful, and the food was fabulous. But we were also tired from a day of travel!
 
///
 
Our first full day we had the option of several excursions: golf at Pebble Beach, wine and olive oil tasting, a day at the spa, or whale watching. We opted for whale watching, and it turned out to be one of the most incredible experiences of my life! We'd heard that it can be kind of hit or miss, depending on whether or not the whales show up, but they showed up big time for our boat!
 
Prior to boarding...

 
 
I adored the sea otters. I felt like they were posing for us.
 

 
All aboard. So glad I brought a good coat. It was really chilly!
 

 
Jellyfish were everywhere. It was unreal.
 
 
A few pics of our whale spotting below. They are the most magnificent creatures. I gasped every time we saw one. Truly amazing.
 


 
This guy/gal really showed off.
 

The whale's water spout. So cool.
 

 
After whale watching we had a fabulous lunch at Scales. I had a shrimp salad and the best Bloody Mary I've ever tasted.
 
 
After lunch we were free for the rest of the day. I took advantage of the quiet and took a nap in our room. And then I took my time getting ready for dinner that night! What a treat! We were able to take a shuttle into town, and after talking to a lot of locals and staff at the resort we settled on a restaurant calling Grasing's Coastal Cuisine. The restaurant was quaint and casual, and it was so fun to eat among the locals.
 
We shared crab cakes to start, and they were delish.
 
 
I had the Pepper Seared Ahi Tuna as my entrée, and Rob had the Herb Crusted Sea Bass. Mine is below. So freaking yum.
 
 
///
 
Our final full day started with a Run through Carmel for Rob and his fellow co-workers who were awarded the trip. They were grouped together and went on a pretty intense scavenger hunt around Carmel. Rob's group came in second place, and they won a nice chunk of change! :)
 
The spouses met those competing at the finish line, and we had a lovely lunch at Taste of Monterey. That afternoon Rob and I explored the beach around our resort. It was cold, but I had to feel the Pacific Ocean on my feet!
 


After exploring, Rob and I rented a car and drove the 17-Mile Drive, which was just breathtaking. We passed coastal cliffs and almost eerie looking forests that held trees with gnarled branches. I felt like I was in a fairytale. There were houses nestled along the drive, and it was fun to imagine the people inside...and hard not to be jealous of their daily surroundings! We pulled over at many of the main attractions along the way and just took in the scenery.
 
 
Just look at that water. Heaven.
 
 
The Lone Cypress. A sight to behold. If you look carefully you can see the ropes used to hold the tree up in order to preserve it from the elements.
 
 
 
///
 
After the drive we had to get ready for our final evening which was a group dinner held at The Beach Club.
 
 
 
///
 
As you can see, it was an amazing trip. I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know all of the folks in attendance. It was good for my soul to be in another part of the country and to just see and meet some of the cool things and people outside of Mississippi. Sometimes we get a little suffocated in our bubble, and escaping for a bit is rejuvenating.
 
Hope y'all enjoyed the recap. Have a great weekend! :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment