Thursday, June 2, 2016

Life Lately + Dump and Done Ramen Salad

This original post was a Weekend Update, but seeing as it's Thursday, I'm a little late for that, huh?

We haven't done much of anything the past few days. I haven't felt that great, for whatever reason, so I've been taking it kind of easy.

We had a wonderful, long Memorial Day weekend, though, so I wanted to share some pictures and details of our fun.
 
///
 
Friday night the girls and I had dinner with my parents, then we came home to Daddy mowing the yard. They wanted in on the fun, so he rigged something up. I was laughing so hard...#onlyinmississippi



///
 
I made a batch of Barbie's Tuna Salad, White Cheddar & Chive Pimiento Cheese, and Gamma's Curry Dip, and we ate on that all weekend for lunch. Recipes for all three are under my Recipes tab. They're great summer staples. The pimiento cheese was even more fun to make this time because the chives came from our garden!


///
 
The weather could not have been more perfect. We pulled out the kiddie pool on Saturday, and we spent much of the day outside. We got this pool a few years ago from Wal-Mart, and I'm telling you it was the best $30 ever spent.


 
///

I've been looking for a refreshing summer cocktail, so I had fun browsing recipes online. I stumbled upon a recipe for Slushy Whiskey Sours, and they was delish. It makes a ton so next time we make it I'll either halve the recipe or wait to serve it when we have friends over.

Slushy Whiskey Sours
{Southern Living}

1 (6-oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 (6-oz.) can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1 (6-oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
4 1/3 cups water
2 cups bourbon
1 (33.8-oz.) bottle club soda, chilled

Stir together first 5 ingredients. Pour into a large zip-top freezer bag; seal. Freeze 2 hours. Spoon into a pitcher. Stir in club soda, and serve immediately.

///

Sunday night I met up with one of my best girlfriends who was in town visiting family. We were roommates in college and again in New York. She's still living there and has twin little girls. So much has changed, but the laughs remain. I'm so thankful for our friendship.


///

Monday we went swimming at Pop and J's and later that night we grilled out. I made Chrissy Teigen's Dump and Done Ramen Salad, and it couldn't have been easier or more tasty. It's very similar to the Asian Ramen Coleslaw recipe I've posted before, but it's different enough to give it a whirl.





Dump and Done Ramen Salad
{Cravings cookbook}

3 (3-oz.) packages chicken-flavored ramen
1 (12-oz.) package broccoli slaw
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup corn (I used canned and drained the juice)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds

Set the seasoning packets from the ramen aside. Crush the ramen noodles into a salad bowl, then add the slaw, onion, peas, and corn and toss.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, oil, vinegar, and ramen seasoning packets and microwave on high for 1 minute. Pour the hot dressing over the slaw and toss. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.

Toss in the sunflower seeds just before serving.

**I think it tastes better after refrigerating for a few hours. We had leftovers the next day, and I thought it was a bit soggy (still tasty, though!).**

///

Hope everyone is having a lovely week!


No comments:

Post a Comment