Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Cheeseburger Shepherd's Pie

Comfort food...in my opinion there's nothing much better. Especially this time of year when the temps are a little cooler. I found this recipe for Cheeseburger Shepherd's Pie in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine last year. It sounds kind of random, but trust me, it's really good. A co-worker turned me on to the Cheeseburger Pizza at Pizza Shack, and since then I've become a firm believer that cheeseburger flavors work anywhere.
 
I used 2 pounds of ground beef and found that the recipe made enough for two small casserole dishes. So we now have one in the freezer and can pull it out in the near future. Always a positive!
 
I thought the recipe needed salt, so I added salt to the meat mixture before assembling. I also used about 1/2 a cup more water than called for, probably only because I added more meat.
 
 
Cheeseburger Shepherd's Pie
{Better Homes and Gardens}
 
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut up
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan cook potatoes in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add sour cream, milk and salt, mashing or beating to make potato mixture light and fluffy. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
 
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook beef, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until brown, stirring to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off any fat. Stir in tomato paste, water, corn, pickles, mustard, and oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
 
Spoon beef mixture into a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds over beef mixture. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts. Top with green onions and/or bacon, if desired.
 


///
 
Enjoy! I hope everyone has a great day...


1 comment: