Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Lily's Birthday

Lily turned 6 on Saturday, and it was such a magical, special day for all of us. Six is a big deal, right? You now have to hold up two hands when someone asks how old you are!


We've had small/low-key family parties to celebrate birthdays in the past (except for her 1st and 2nd birthdays where I thought they had to be Pinterest-perfect), but Rob and I agreed that once our girls hit kindergarten, we'd let them choose what kind of party they wanted. Lily wanted her party at Pump It Up (a local bounce house), and she wanted a Trolls theme. When I say Lily and Hadley are obsessed with that movie, I mean it. They love everything Trolls, and we're listening to the soundtrack on repeat over here.
 
I wanted the party to be fun for Lily and her friends, and I also didn't want to wear myself out making everything "perfect" for little children who are only interested in eating cake and playing with their friends!
 
We kept things really simple...I purchased disposable tablecloths, plates, and napkins from Party City. The party was in the morning, so there wasn't any need for a lot of food. Bugles, cake, and Capri Sun were served. The cake, by the way, was from Wal-Mart, and it was every bit as delicious as the cakes I used to purchase that cost an arm and a leg. And side note here: does anyone really like the way fondant tastes? And do kids really care if their cake is tiered?
 

 
Anyway, I did make some fun centerpieces for the party tables because I haven't fully given up the Pinterest-free persona yet! :) I thought they were so fun and colorful and fit the bright, rainbow Trolls theme perfectly. I spray painted some terracota pots a light purple shade and used foam sheets to make the flowers that adorn each side. I wanted them to match the flowers on Poppy's headband in the movie. Then I just hot glued those to the pots. The rainbow poms were an Etsy purchase from this shop, as were the Trolls cupcake toppers (from this shop). I added tissue paper and Starburst candy to fill the pots in.
 


 
I was on team #nopartyfavors for the longest, but when I found Trolls blind bags on sale for $1, I jumped ship. It was all downhill from there, and I ended up adding Trolls stickers and candy to each goodie bag. #sorrynotsorry
 
I found the invitations on Etsy (from this shop) and had them printed at a local Office Max (which, FYI, copyright issue...but I've learned being nice can get you almost anywhere. The sweet lady who helped me told me because I had been friendly and patient she'd print them for me!).
 
 
I also ordered a special shirt for Lily to wear at her party, and I thought it was just darling. I found it here.

 
And now, picture overload! I think you can tell by the size of her smile that she had a very happy birthday.

 
 
 
 
 
With two of her very best friends from school. She has the sweetest little friends.

 
At home opening presents. She was so excited to get another Wellie Wisher doll.
 
 
Well there you have it...Lily's 6th birthday round-up. At the end of the day as I was tucking her into bed, she said, "This was the best day ever." I'll take that. :)
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a happy day.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment