Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Life Lately

You know what's not as fun as it seems? Househunting. Trying to find a house that meets your family's needs is tough stuff. There are so many nice neighborhoods not far from where we live (and in the school district we like) that seem pretty perfect other than the fact that all the trees have been mowed down to develop the neighborhood. And I can't live without some mature trees around me. We put an offer in on a house that we both loved...it was everything we were looking for and then some...and then we were outbid. That stinks...big time. But then I have to remind myself that it's just a house...that we have each other and our health, and that that's all that really matters in life. I get that, deep down, but I do have to give myself a pep talk every now and again. I know in the end we'll find what we're looking for...I'd just rather the process hurry up a little bit!
 
///
 
http://www.amazon.com/Love-Fighting-Grace-Impossible-Standards/dp/0718031822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442883700&sr=8-1&keywords=jen+hatmaker
 
We're reading this book in my Wednesday night group at church. Jen Hatmaker is hilarious. I love her books because they're a nice balance between funny and deep...she hits you with both, and I just adore that. In one chapter she talks about the need so many feel to identify their "calling" in life...trying to figure that out can be terribly overwhelming, and what if some of us aren't gifted with one specific thing or talent that's obvious to us or the world? Sure, some people are given at birth the ability to sing or dance or paint beautiful pictures. And still some have a harder time pinpointing what that gift may be. Hatmaker states, "You don't need to wait another day to figure out your calling. You're living it, dear one. Your gifts have a place right now, in the job you have, in your stage of life, with the people who surround you. Calling is virtually never big or famous work; that is rarely the way the kingdom comes. It shows up quietly, subversively, almost invisibly." Good stuff.
 
I'll write a review when I finish the whole thing, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
 
///
 
I have been in dire need of a new wallet for some time now. I've been looking and looking and have seen plenty that I love, but I just haven't been able to justify the price tag! I ordered this one from Zappos on Saturday, and it came in the mail Monday night. Gotta love Zappos! Almost instant gratification...ha!
 
I thought it was so cute and functional...plus it's small enough to fit in a smaller purse if needed.

 
 
///
 
And then there's this...this is what I like to call a good mail day. Two of my favorite magazines were waiting for me in my mailbox yesterday. Can't wait to dream about fall while simultaneously sweating out the Mississippi heat and humidity.
 
 
 
///
 
One of my favorite meals ever is spaghetti...just simple homemade spaghetti. I've tried several recipes, but I always come back to this one. It is a little spicy, but that's partly why I like it so much! I found it in Bell's Best Cookbook.
 
 
Spaghetti Meat Sauce
 
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 2 pounds)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1 (12 oz.) can tomato juice (I used 22 oz. total)
12 oz. can tomato paste
 
Brown ground beef and drain. Add celery, bell pepper, onion, and spices. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add tomato juice (if you like it soupier, add more juice) and tomato paste; cook until very thick. Takes about 1 hour or more. (I added a drained 10 oz. jar of sliced mushrooms to my sauce.)
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a great day. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment