Monday, September 28, 2015

Weekend Update & Chicken Pot Pie

So, as much as I love fall, I don't love the sickness that goes with it. I worked Saturday, and it was one of those days. In nursing there doesn't seem to be an in-between...it's either smooth, or it's not. Saturday was not! I got to work at 6:30 a.m. and didn't get home until 8:45 that night. Long day! And then I woke up Sunday morning with a terrible earache and cough. Thank goodness for modern medicine and medical clinics that are open on the weekends! I got a steroid shot and an antibiotic and am on the mend...it's just that time of year, you know? We skipped church and had a lazy Sunday...I even took a two hour nap...no clue the last time I did that!
 
 
///
 
One positive to being sick...my mom made us a delicious chicken pot pie. I've been meaning to try the recipe myself, but here it is. I've honestly never had a chicken pot pie I've liked as much as this one.
 
 
Chicken & Biscuits
{Deep South Dish: Homestyle Southern Recipes}
 
**This is the original recipe, which calls for biscuits. My mom changed it up some to make it more like a pot pie...I noted the changes at the end of the recipe. I think it'd be good either way!**
 
18 biscuits, homemade, frozen, and thawed, or refrigerated
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

**Butter a baking dish and set aside. Allow biscuits to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
**Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; saute onion, carrots, and celery until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
 
**Sprinkle in flour, cooking and stirring 3 minutes. Slowly add broth; brng to a boil; then simmer 5 minutes, until thickened.
 
**Stir in half-and-half, bring heat up, and cook until heated through. Add chicken, peas, and seasonings.
 
**Transfer hot mixture immediately to prepared baking dish, and quickly top with biscuits. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly, and biscuits are browned and cooked through.
 
**My mom adjusted the recipe to her liking by adding a jar of mushrooms (drained)...instead of biscuits, she used a box of the Pillsbury Pie Crusts (each box comes with two, 9-inch crusts). She lined the dish with one crust and topped the filling with part of the other crust. I had to adjust baking time to 45 minutes, uncovered.
 
///
 
And then my sweet husband made a trip to the grocery store to get me my favorite ice cream. My throat has been on fire, so this helped! Nothing beats chocolate chip cookie dough...
 
 
///
 
I came home Saturday night to a package waiting on me. I had some birthday money and was able to order a few things. This necklace was one of them, and I just adore it!
 
 
///
 
My parents got me this book for my birthday, and I can't wait to dig in. Being a nurse has become an integral part of who I am.
 
http://www.amazon.com/Shift-Nurse-Twelve-Hours-Patients/dp/161620320X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443402300&sr=8-1&keywords=the+shift
 
///
 
Did anyone stay up for the super blood moon last night? I have been obsessed with the moon for as long as I can remember...it's just so cool to me that everyone in this world sees the same moon...I love how it connects us all. It was so cloudy here, and we really didn't get a view, but I saw some of the images online. Incredible. And for my friends who are nurses...I have been especially thinking of those who pulled a night shift last night!
 
 
///
 
Lastly, Lily drew a picture of our family the other day...and yet we're a family of four! I think she's hinting that she'd like a few more siblings. Hmm...as one friend said, "I hope she's not psychic!"
 
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a great Monday and a wonderful week ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment