Friday, November 20, 2015

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

So, I don't think it's any secret that I love a good casserole. Especially this time of year. I've made this one numerous times, and we always comment about how it's one of our favorites. It saves well and freezes well too, so that's always a bonus. It'd be a great meal to take to someone in need of food.
 

 
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
{Southern Living: Our Readers Top-Rated Recipes Cookbook}
 
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used an entire Rotisserie chicken)
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas (I probably used 20)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (I used more...I always use more cheese)
 
Saute onion and bell pepper in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and next 7 ingredients. Remove from heat.
 
Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces, and layer one-third of tortilla pieces in bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
 
Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.
 
I sprinkled green onions on top of mine when it came out of the oven.
 
Enjoy!
 
///
 
I hope everyone has a great weekend. See y'all on Monday...


No comments:

Post a Comment