Monday, November 16, 2015

Paris

 
I normally write a weekend update on Mondays, but I felt kind of silly sharing that today. The events in Paris have left me so sad. Sad for the people who died. Sad for those who loved them. Sad for those (myself included) worrying about their own safety when they go about their daily routines and lives. I'm also sad for my Muslim friends who get torn apart when Muslim extremists do something atrocious in the name of their religion. I would be horrified if non-Christians lumped me in the same category as the members of Westboro Baptist Church.
 
This world is a scary place, and I'm not sure what the answer is. I read status updates on Facebook all weekend from friends who think we're (the United States) crazy for opening our borders to refugees. I understand that thinking...I really do. But I also wonder what Jesus would do. I try to ask myself that question frequently...what would Jesus do if he were here today, I wonder? And I think it's obvious what he would do. James 1:27 states, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
 
So how do we find that balance? How do we protect ourselves while caring for others who desperately need us? I really don't know. I don't know what we can do; I don't know what the answer is. All I know that I, that we, can do right now is pray...pray for Paris, pray for the state of our world, pray for the leaders who have to make such big decisions...pray for those refugees who are terrified and are simply trying to find a safe place to exist in this world.
 
I firmly believe that good triumphs over evil, every single time. Maybe I'm naïve, but I believe that in my soul...I think we have to know that to be true in order to just put one foot in front of the other in this scary (yet still very beautiful) world today. So, that's what I can do...that's what I'm doing. Believing that good will win in the end and praying for our world in the meantime.
 
///
 
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18


No comments:

Post a Comment