Monday, May 2, 2016

Weekend Update + Asian Ramen Coleslaw

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Here's a peek of what we got into...
 
///
 
Friday night we met my parents for Mexican...because Mexican has become our new Friday night tradition. And I'm not mad about it either. Dad is slowly improving, and I was so happy he felt well enough to get out of the house for a short while.
 
///
 
Saturday morning we headed to the park and spent a few hours there. I snapped some cute pics of the girls.

 
 How fun is this zip line?
 

 
///
 
After the park we had lunch at Kristos, our favorite lunch spot. I had a sautéed shrimp wrap with Comeback dressing, and it was divine.
 
Rob taught Lily how to play tic tac toe while we waited on our food...he is so analytical and logical-minded, and it was so funny to me to watch him explain it to her. I think she was as confused as I was. ;)
 
 
Their curly fries are the best. Lily agrees.
 
 
///
 
Lily and I shared a late afternoon popsicle on the front porch and watched the rain come in.
 
 
///
 
Sweet Hadley got into my makeup, and when I tried to wipe the lipstick off, she was not a happy camper. Right after she put the lipstick on, I caught her posing in the mirror. She is such a little ham.
 

///
 
We ended our Saturday with frozen pizzas (sometimes you just need a $2 Tony's pizza) and a few games of Bocce ball. It was a really good day to be together.
 
///
 
Yesterday we went to church, and I honestly think the last time all four of us had gone together was Easter...yikes! It seems like someone has always been sick, or I've been working. Anyway, it was good to be back, and it always, always starts my week off on the right track.
 
///
 
Last night we grilled burgers (Swiss and mushroom burger for Rob, blue cheese burger for moi), and I made my favorite coleslaw as a side. I'm sure everyone has tried this slaw or some version of it before, but we love it. It's super easy, and it's light...a good side for heavy burgers. Recipe below...
 
 
Asian Ramen Coleslaw
{Food.com}
 
3 green onions, chopped
1 (16 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
3 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 (3 ounce) package chicken-flavored ramen noodles, seasoning packet reserved
 
Dressing
 
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Seasoning packet from ramen noodles
 
Combine green onions and slaw in a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and let sit. Crumble ramen noodles and toast in a skillet along with sesame seeds and almonds. Add toasted ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds to coleslaw and green onion mixture then pour dressing over slaw. Mix well and serve.
 
**I like the ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds to remain crunchy...if the slaw sits overnight, it gets a little soggy in my opinion...if you're serving this to a large group, add the crunchy parts to the entire salad. I've found if I'm going to have leftovers I'll add the crunchy parts with each individual serving, just so it maintains its crunch. Does that make sense? Ha!**
 
///
 
I hope everyone has a great Monday! We focused on fun this weekend, so our house looks like a wreck. After I take the girls to school, I'm going into heavy-duty cleaning mode. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment