Friday, October 2, 2015

What's Some of the Best Advice You've Ever Received?

What's some of the best advice you've ever been given? There are several bits of wisdom I've received over my life that have really stuck with me...I thought I'd share several of those nuggets here.

Never turn down an interview.

When I was in journalism grad school, I was a teacher’s assistant for one of my professors. He was (and still is) a magazine guru, and at the time that’s all I wanted to do…to one day work for a magazine. I was lucky to be under his wing. When the time came to interview for summer internships, I’d applied with several large publishing houses that published many magazines under their umbrella. Some magazines I was interested in; others not so much…not that I had any right to be picky! As interviews started coming up, I was asked to meet with a magazine that didn’t interest me in the least. I told my professor I wasn’t sure if I should even accept the interview…there were so many others I preferred, and I had no interest in that publication. That was when he told me that you never turn down an interview. As he said, you never know whom you might meet; you never know what connections you might make; you may become best friends with the person interviewing you. You gain great skills each time you interview; you learn more about the process; you learn more about yourself. You get more experience under your belt. That has always stuck with me. I think it applies to a lot of areas in life, for me at least. We can be quick to say no or to turn down opportunities when we never know what we may learn or take away from it.

Fake it 'til you make it.

My mom told me this when I was going through a tough time...sometimes you have to just pull yourself together and go through the motions. One foot in front of the other. Smile on your face. It may feel forced, but the act of going through the motions can get us through the tough time until we're on the other side. This also means to me that we can't always be led by our emotions, which is hard for me.

That’s why it’s spelled W-O-R-K and not F-U-N

This is such a Dad-ism. My Dad has told me so many bits of wisdom over the years, and they're just priceless.

One summer I worked at a local restaurant, and I was complaining because I had to go to work one night when my friends were going out. That's when he said, "Lindsey, that's why it's spelled W-O-R-K and not F-U-N." It has served as such a great reminder that sometimes (many times) we have to do things we don't want to do just because that's life. Life isn't always fun and easy and carefree. To have the fun, easy, and carefree moments, we have to put in the work too.

Don’t settle for too little too soon.

Another Dad-ism. He told me this specifically when I had graduated from college and was unsure what I wanted to do. He was urging me to get a graduate degree, and I wasn't sure that was the path I wanted to take. It can apply to every area of life, though...

Always go to the funeral.

I can't remember who told me this or maybe if I read it somewhere, but I couldn't agree more.

We can always find excuses to skip a funeral...I mean, in reality, does anyone really want to go to a funeral? Of course not...but I think it means more to those who are mourning than we will ever know. It just shows that we care. Sometimes showing up is all we can do, and that is simply enough. I know sometimes it's easy to justify missing a visitation or a funeral because there will be so many attending...and those mourning are in such a fog that they won't remember who showed up and who didn't. But, and I know this from experience, they do look back at the guest book. And seeing your name there does mean a lot. It means that you cared enough about the person who died, and it means that you care enough for those who are living without him or her that you want to show up for them. Also, while the main people grieving may not notice or remember your presence, there will be someone there who does...whether an uncle or aunt, a friend, a cousin...someone will notice your presence, and I think it means more than we ever realize.

Look for ways to help.


Yet another Dad-ism. I'm telling you, I should write a book of these gems. People everywhere every day are in need of help. Sometimes it's in a big way; most of the time it's in a very small way. Instead of asking how you can help, just do it. I think we've gotten so good at telling people in need, "Let me know if there is anything I can do to help." And in reality, most aren't going to stop what they're doing and tell you specifically what you can do to help them. So instead of asking, just find a way to help and do it.

I'd love to hear from y'all (my two readers...ha!)...what's some of the best advice you've ever received?
 
///
 
From advice to a recipe...this is the best pimiento cheese I've ever had...I found it in a Southern Living last summer, I believe, and I won't ever make another kind! We love it as a sandwich, but it's also good on crackers, as an appetizer, or with veggies!
 
 
White Cheddar-Chive Pimiento Cheese
{Southern Living}
 
    12-oz. aged sharp white cheddar cheese
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 oz. jar diced pimiento, drained and rinsed   
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh chives (I used green onion)   
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 
Grate half of cheese using the large holes of a box grater; grate remaining half of cheese using the small holes of box grater. Stir together mayonnaise and next 6 ingredients. Stir in cheddar cheese until well blended. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 3 days.
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a great weekend! See you Monday!


1 comment:

  1. I love this advice! You're right about supporting those you love at funerals. It's never fun to go, but the families really appreciate the love. Looking back, there are a few funerals I wish I had made more of an effort to attend. I also love the advice to not settle. I think it can apply to your education, jobs, and future spouses. The best advice I ever got was - always be thankful and be sure to write thank you notes, go out of your way for other people, and move away from home so that you can fully appreciate all that your home has to offer. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete