Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Life Lately

Happy Hump Day! Can y'all believe summer is almost over? At least it is (season-wise, not heat-wise) for us in Mississippi. Lily starts school August 4! That seems crazy early, but it is what it is. We're trying to soak up these last few weeks of slow and freedom. Here's what we've been up to...
 
///
 
Lily has been wanting some one-on-one time with me lately, so we decided to start a little tradition that we like to call "Lily-Mommy Day." I'm not sure how often we'll have these special days, whether it will be once a month or not quite as often. But, it's a day or a half day dedicated to time with just the two of us. We sat down and worked on a list of things she wants to do, and that list is full! We went on our first Lily-Mommy Day last week, and it was so, so special...truly something I'll always remember because it brought her so much joy. So this is something I definitely want to continue and want to do with Hadley as well when she gets a little older.
 
We dropped Hadley off at my parents' house, and Lily and I headed to Toys R Us. She's been saving her money, and she had $18 in her piggy bank. I'm trying to slowly teach her about money, about saving, about working hard to earn a dollar. I don't know if I'm doing any of this right, but I'm trying. Anyway, we went down every aisle at Toys R Us, and I helped her pick things that she could afford. It was a good way for her to realize that toys are expensive and that some things are just out of your price range unless you make the decision to continue to save. Anyway, she ended up choosing two small Barbie dolls, and she was SO proud of her choices. I picked up a little something for Hadley too so she would feel special.
 
 
After the toy store, we went to Chuck E Cheese for games and pizza. I hadn't been there in probably 25 years (no joke), and I quickly remembered why. It was packed, and all the kids there were so aggressive. One tried to steal Lily's tickets. Ha! It was fun nonetheless, and after we had pizza Lily picked out a few trinkets with the tickets she'd earned.
 



 
 
After pizza we headed for a sno-cone, and then it was time to pick Hadley up. It was a fun, fun day, and I'm thankful for our time together!
 
 
///
 
This past Saturday was a special day because we adopted a kitten! We had to put my sweet Sam to sleep last year, and I have missed her so much. I didn't want a new fur baby right away, but I knew I'd want one at some point. The itch had come, and I have been so ready for a kitty in our house! I went to a local animal shelter on Saturday and was able to spend some time in the kitty room with about 15 kittens! I went in thinking I wanted a black female kitten, and I came home with a grey male! That's life, right? The girls stayed with Rob while I went, only because we thought it might be too crazy if they went too. I bonded with our little guy right away. He is the most affectionate, mellow ball of fur. After a day or two of living with him, we decided on the name Teddy. It just fits him to a "t," and I've been over the moon with an animal in the house. They're just good for the soul. We're in love, and I think he loves us too.
 



 
///
 
Before getting Teddy on Saturday, we went swimming at my parents' house. How good does my Dad look? Thankfully he is doing really well on his chemo regimen and is not having many side effects at all.
 

 
///
 
This past Friday was a big day because we finally had to bite the bullet and say bye-bye to Hadley's pacis. Both of my girls have taken pacis straight from the womb, basically, which is both a good and bad thing. Good when they're fussy/for self-soothing methods; bad when it's time to take them away. Hadley has only used hers to sleep since she turned one, but it's still been such a comfort for her. Anyway, our pediatrician told me it was time, especially with Hadley's trouble articulating some words. So, Friday was the big day. I thought up an elaborate story, and I'm here to report that it worked and has gone very smoothly! Friday morning I let her help me gather her pacis, and we put them in a gift bag. I told her we were going to mail them to the North Pole so Santa could deliver them to babies who needed them at Christmas. I wrote Santa's address on the gift bag, and I even let Hadley apply a stamp. Then we went out to the mailbox and put the bag inside. Hadley put the flag up, and we said "bye bye pacis." Once I got the girls into an activity inside, I ran outside to recover the bag so our mailman wouldn't think a crazy lady resided at our house. Ha! Hadley has slept perfectly fine without them. She's whimpered a little bit and has asked for them, but she's eventually fallen to sleep. When she asks, I just remind her that they're gone and that they've probably already made it to the North Pole. I tell her how proud of her I am, that she is such a big girl, and for good measure I tell her that Santa is very proud of her too. I have to admit my heart broke a little taking those pacis away. No pacis signify the end of babyhood, to me at least, and that hurts. Next up is potty training, but we're not there yet.
 
 
///
 
We went to Chick fil A last week for lunch and to play in the inside play area. The girls had a blast, as they always do there, and I did my usual and took a few pictures. I love this one because it captures the moment perfectly. "Seriously, mom, leave us alone and let us play." Point taken!
 
 
///
 
I posted a Chrissy Teigen recipe yesterday and shared the photo on Instagram as well. I was so excited to see later in the day that she had liked my photo! In reality, her assistant probably liked the photo, but a girl can dream, right? :)
 
 
///
 
And finally, our playroom has looked like a bomb went off in it the past few weeks. I've been too overwhelmed to clean it, so I just do what we all do...I shut the door and pretend it doesn't exist. Anyway, a few days ago I told Lily she needed to start cleaning it up. Not long after, she called me and told me she was finished cleaning the playroom. And below is what I walked into. I had to remind her that putting everything that's on the floor onto the bed does not equal cleaning. Ha...nice try though, right?
 
 
///
 
I hope everyone has a great day...we're going to visit my parents this morning, and our afternoon is open. I'm cooking tacos tonight and am trying out a Street Corn Salad recipe. If it's good, I'll share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment