Thursday, March 17, 2016

Easy Red Beans and Rice

We're big red beans and rice fans over here. I found this recipe a few years back, and it's become a favorite. To my Cajun friends: I'm sure this is not authentic, Louisiana red beans and rice...but the flavors are good, and it's simple to throw together!
 
 
 Easy Red Beans and Rice
{Allrecipes.com}
 
Rice of your choosing
1 (16 ounce) package turkey kielbasa, cut on the diagonal
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove chopped garlic
2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, drained
1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
 
Cook rice according to package directions.
In a large skillet over low heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender. Pour in beans (drained) and tomatoes (with juice). Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
 
When I first read the recipe, I thought it sounded too easy to be good, but it's not! I do think it needs salt, so salt to your liking. I've also added red pepper flakes to turn up the heat. And, if there's not enough liquid for your liking, add a small can of Rotel. I've done this before too and have been pleased with the results! I like to garnish with sliced green onion and a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment