Wednesday, January 13, 2016

White Bean Chicken Chili

It is full-on winter here, so it's the perfect time to make soup. I wanted to try something new, so I broke out the trusty Google search engine and typed in what I was looking for...and voila, after reading through several recipes, I thought the one below sounded the best. And it was really, really good! Part of why I like Allrecipes.com is because of the reviews...I've learned that you can take a recipe from good to great just by reading the reviews and tweaking recipes according to others' input.
 



White Bean Chicken Chili
{Allrecipes.com}
 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (18.75 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped (I used a jar of salsa verde after reading recommendations)
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used 2 cans of Rotel)
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I used a little more)
2 ears fresh corn (I used 2 cans of corn, drained)
1 pound diced, cooked chicken meat (I used a Rotisserie chicken)
1 (15 ounce) can white beans (I used 2 cans, drained, but kept the juice to the side...I ended up adding some to the chili to make it soupier)
1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste (I used a good bit of salt)
 
I also added red pepper flakes to make it a little spicier!
Per reviews, I added 2 tablespoons of corn starch to thicken it up...I didn't think it made that much of a difference.
 
Directions
 
Heat oil, and cook onion and garlic until soft.
Stir in broth, tomatillos, tomatoes, chilies, and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add corn, chicken, and beans; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I left mine on the stove for a few hours on low heat and just stirred occasionally.
Garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and shredded cheddar. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a great day! And this may be TMI, but I'm OK with that when it comes to this subject...I'm off to get my annual mammogram today. I've been getting them since I turned 30, and I had a baseline in my 20s. I hope everyone reading this gets theirs as often as they've been advised! There is nothing to it, and I promise it's not painful...waiting for the results is the worst part. But it's so important to take care of ourselves and to be proactive in our health...that's my soapbox for the day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment