Friday, March 18, 2016

Drugstore Beauty Buys

Who doesn't love scouring the aisles of the drugstore for some beauty products? I've found some products lately that I really adore, so I wanted to share them with the world you (Hi, Dad!)...but first, some background on when my love affair with drugstore products began...

///
 
I lived in a few houses growing up, and for whatever reason, each house was in walking or bike riding distance to a drugstore (and this was when it was considered safe to let your pre-teen/tween do just that). I can recall so many summer or weekend days that I'd ride my bike or walk the mile-long trek to K&B, Super D, or Eckerd. I'd save up my allowance and would have a field day on those aisles. In 6th grade, my favorite purchases were Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker (who doesn't have fond memories of that stuff?) and comic books...a year or so later the comic books were replaced with YM and Seventeen. I remember coming home with a copy of Seventeen one day, and my Dad looked at me and said, probably half-joking/half-serious, "But you're not seventeen." I'm sure my response was something along the lines of, "Dad, you are ruining my life." Oh those awkward times. And then in 7th grade I walked to Super D and bought my first pair of tweezers, and my eyebrows (no lie) came out looking close to this:

 
 I don't think they've ever fully grown back from that botch job.
 
In 8th grade a girlfriend and I were comparing our arms to see who was more tan (sign of the times). She said something along the lines of, "You just look more tan because your arm hair is dark." I promptly spent my next Saturday walking to Super D to purchase Jolen bleach. I remember mixing it up in my bathroom (oh the smell!), spreading it on my arms, and leaving it on entirely too long. First degree burns later, I'm lucky I didn't need skin grafts to recover from that nightmare...ha! #neveragain
 
With all that said, my love for good ole' drugstore products continues. Below are a few of my recent favorite finds. (I linked all of these through Amazon, but you can find them at your local drugstore or Target. Prices will likely be much better there too!)
 
Yes to Grapefruit Pore Perfection Toning Mist

I feel all fancy using this stuff...the smell is divine, and a light spray to your face throughout the day just feels good. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed and hydrated. I'm already planning on carrying it in my beach bag this summer...

///

I have thin, fine hair. If I'm speaking your language then you really need to try the Luxurious Volume products by John Frieda. My favorite is the Blow-Out Spray, but I really like the Mousse as well. I spray it on my scalp after I get out of the shower, brush it out, and blow dry about 10 minutes later. It not only adds volume, but it seems to thicken the overall texture of my hair too.

John Frieda Luxurious Volume Fine to Full Blow-Out Spray

///

I have a hard time wearing a bold lip, but I thought I'd give it a try for spring. This is a violet-pink shade, and I think it'd look good on most skin tones. It applies easily, is really creamy, and stayed put a long time. I think it's the perfect bright shade for this time of year!
CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick - Spellbound


///

Facial oils have been all the rage lately, and I can see why. They hydrate, lock in moisture, and are supposed to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. I did a bit of research, and most of them were really pricey. This version comes in under $25, and I found a lot of reviewers who loved it as much as the expensive stuff. I've been putting a few drops on my face before my night-time moisturizer, and I love the way it feels. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave my face feeling greasy. It does have a mild scent to it, which I like (almost smells like a mild unisex cologne)...but if you're sensitive to that, you may want to try another brand. (P.S. I think this brand is specific to Target...so add it to your cart when you're in there for some paper towels!)

Boots No7 Youthful Replenishing Facial Oil

///

Charcoal is touted for its ability to draw out impurities, gently exfoliate, and open clogged pores. And all this time I thought it was just for grilling. I've been using this bar for the past few nights, and I'm a convert. It has a light peppermint scent which leaves my skin feeling tingly and extra clean. It also works up a great lather for all you latherholics. But really, what is it about a good lather? Ha!

Biore Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar

///

Ladies, go buy this! First, it contains SPF 15, which I love. Like all body lotions,it hydrates, but this one has several other tricks up its sleeve: it illuminates and gives off a very subtle sheen (which just makes my skin look prettier); it tones down redness and evens out skin tone (the redness factor is big for me), and it firms your skin over time. You choose the shade based on your skin tone (either Fair to Medium or Medium to Tan) and apply all over. I've used the Jergens Natural Glow tanning lotion in the past but didn't like the scent. This has a much milder scent that I hardly noticed. And I have a nose like a fox.


///

I love this lip gloss because it doesn't feel sticky and goes on sheer with just a hint of color. It also adds some shine to my lips, and it kept them moisturized. I chose Berry Chic which provides just a hint of sheer cherry color. It looks pretty alone or over your favorite lipstick!

Maybelline New York Baby Lips Lip Gloss - Berry Chic

///

Any other drugstore addicts out there? What's your favorite drugstore beauty buy? Hope everyone has a happy weekend! See y'all Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment