Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sloppy Joes & Broccoli Salad

First things first, I updated the Recipes tab at the top of my page! Now all the recipes I've posted on my blog will show up there, so no more searching. Yay!
 
///
 
I don't know about you, but every time I hear "sloppy joes" I think of Adam Sandler's Lunch Lady Song...and then I have it stuck in my head the rest of the day. You're welcome.
 
But really, sloppy joes used to be something I'd turn my nose up at (or anything else that might be served in a cafeteria), but I made these for Rob (food is his love language), and they ended up being fantastic. The flavor is really good...kind of sweet, kind of spicy, plus it's easy to whip together and makes plenty so you'll likely have leftovers.
 
And I think everyone and their grandma (at least here in the South) has made or eaten some version of Broccoli Salad, but this one is my favorite. And the nice thing about it is you can add or omit ingredients to your heart's desire.
 
We served these together, and I thought it made for a tasty meal! Enjoy!
 
///
 

Sloppy Joe Di Maggios
{Rachael Ray}
 
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds lean ground sirloin
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon steak seasoning (use Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick...it's the bomb)
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
Package of soft burger rolls
 
Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and crumble as it browns. Add the onions to the pan and cook to soften. In a bowl mix the spices, sugar, Worcestershire, and tomato sauce. Pour sauce over the meat and simmer a few minutes to combine flavors. Scoop onto buns and serve. The sloppier the better!
 
The original recipe calls for a package of cooked hot dogs to be added to the meat mixture. I've never tried it that way, and I think it's perfect just the way it is.
 
///
 
This is one of those recipes that's been handed down on a notecard, and I have a Xeroxed copy in one of my cookbooks. I don't know the original source, but I imagine it was from a church cookbook (do you know what I'm talking about? Those are the best.).
 
 
Broccoli Salad
{Unknown church member of church cookbook, most likely}
 
1 head broccoli
Cooked bacon (about 6 slices), crumbled
Raisins (I substitute Craisins) (about 1/2 cup)
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (shred yourself...so much better!)
Purple onion, chopped finely (about 1/4 cup)
Sunflower seeds (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup mayo
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper as needed
 
While bacon is cooking, wash broccoli and cut into bite-size pieces (flowerets and stems). Place in large bowl. Add crumbled bacon, Craisins (or raisins, but Craisins are better and prettier!), cheese, onion and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar together. Pour mixture over broccoli and stir well to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Add salt and pepper as needed.
 
The measurements on this recipe aren't specific. If you stir it all together at the end and want more Craisins, add them...same with bacon, cheese, onion, and sunflower seeds. I tend to get lazy and use the store-bought crumbled bacon bits (the real bacon...not the crunchy ones). And I've even bought the pre-cut broccoli florets. Don't judge. I do shred my own cheese! ;)
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a happy day...


No comments:

Post a Comment