Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Artichoke Rice Salad

If you're looking for a good, cold side dish, I've got one you should try. I'm not sure what cookbook this is from, but it's a recipe my mom shared with me years ago. I make it frequently on the weekends to have with sandwiches. My sweet grandparents always send us a Honey Baked Ham this time of year, and we have lived off ham sandwiches and this salad for the past few days...and I never get tired of it! It's full of flavor and is pretty too. The only thing I might add next time is a jar of drained pimientos, just to add some more color. It's good room temperature but is even better after it's been refrigerated. Enjoy!
 
 
Artichoke Rice Salad
 
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
1 (6 oz.) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
 
Place broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, and stir in rice. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until done. Cool. Stir in onion, green pepper, olives, artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, dill, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate and serve chilled.
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a happy day...