Monday, December 14, 2015

Weekend & Life Update

I hope everyone had a great weekend! We showed our house three times and were able to go to church as a family for the first time in what seemed like forever...someone has been sick every Sunday for the past few weeks, or so it seems. Rob is slowly rounding the corner from Hand, Foot, & Mouth, and I'm finally not on the blow-up mattress anymore (12 nights!). I worked on Saturday and had a good, steady day.
 
///
 
Hadley and I met with a speech pathologist late last week to have her speech and language evaluated...and guess what? The speech pathologist wasn't concerned in the least! She doesn't even qualify for speech or language therapy. It was such a positive appointment, and I was so thankful for that. You know, sometimes I think in this day and age we're so quick to rush our children into meeting certain milestones or expectations...when in reality they're going to do things at their own speed, and that's OK. I always need reminders to be patient, and this has served as one. And after last Wednesday's disaster of an appointment with the ENT, this appointment was a gift...and for that I am very thankful.
 
///
 
Have you ever tried the Peppermint Bark from Williams-Sonoma? It comes in a cute tin, and you can always buy it this time of year. Well, it's one of my favorite holiday treats, but it's pricey...almost $30 for one tin! With that in mind, I looked for a recipe to try at home...I found one, and it was a hit! Plus it was super easy to make...
 
 
Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark
{Allrecipes.com}
 
2 (12 oz.) packages milk chocolate chips
2 (12 oz.) packages white chocolate chips
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
8 peppermint candy canes, crushed, divided
 
Line a 12x18 inch jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.
 
Melt the milk chocolate in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, for 1 to 5 minutes (depending on your microwave). Do not overheat or chocolate will scorch. Stir in the peppermint extract. Spread the chocolate evenly in the prepared pan; chill until set, about 30 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring after each melting, for 1 to 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the crushed candy canes. Spread the white chocolate mixture evenly over the milk chocolate. Sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces evenly over the white chocolate layer. Chill until set, about 1 hour. Break into small pieces to serve.
 
**I heated the chocolate on the stove in a double broiler rather than using the microwave. Also, I think the bark lasts longer if you keep it refrigerated. When serving, set it out on the counter for about 10-15 minutes and let it come to room temperature, then put whatever is left back in the fridge.**
 
///
 
I've been displaying our Christmas cards by propping them up against the greenery on our mantle, and I love the way it's turning out. Oh what fun it is to check the mail this time of year!
 
 
///
 
Lastly, just some pictures of my sweet girls...
 
This picture makes me laugh!
 


Hadley preparing some banana stew! She had to have the full chef's outfit on to cook in the kitchen.

 
Lily's first time to try hot chocolate. She loved it! And she seriously looks like a teenager here!
 

 
///
 
Hope everyone has a happy Monday...don't you think Mondays are much more doable during the holidays? :) I know I do...


No comments:

Post a Comment