Thursday, December 31, 2015

Smoked Sausage, Spinach, & White Bean Soup

It's finally feeling like winter once again here (after temps in the upper 70s and 80s!!), so I'm back on a soup-making kick! This one is super easy and is filled with protein, something I'm trying to get more of in the new year. I served ours with shaved parmesan on top and thought it added so much. I did add a good bit of salt to our soup...just thought it needed it, but I guess that's personal preference. I'm all about soups this time of year...enjoy! 
 
 
Smoked Sausage, Spinach, & White Bean Soup
{The Comfort of Cooking Web site}
 
1 Tablespoon olive oil
13 oz. smoked sausage (chicken, turkey or beef)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups (32 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
10 oz. fresh baby spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
 
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add sausage and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned. Add onions and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
 
Stir in thyme leaves, Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes, beans and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 25-30 minutes. Stir in spinach during last 5 minutes of cooking. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon into serving bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
 
///
 
New Year's Eve has always been the most depressing holiday to me. I mean, if you have fun plans, great...but if you don't, you basically feel like a loser. So I just don't really observe it anymore. Denial is sometimes a good thing, right? But really...in order to further not acknowledge the world's worst holiday I'm going to work tomorrow...so I'm forced to go to bed early...a win-win in my book.
 
I hope everyone had a happy 2015! I'm planning on doing a 2015 recap in a few days, along with writing down some of my goals/resolutions for the new year that I'll most definitely keep for a good two weeks. In all honesty, 2015 was a really good year...filled with good medical news for my family, joyful children, a furthered relationship with Christ, new friendships, and many, many happy times in between. I hope and pray 2016 will bring much of the same...for me and for you! See y'all next year! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment