Monday, May 23, 2016

Classic Southern Tomato Pie

Not much epitomizes summer in Mississippi to me like tomatoes do. I always say it's the one redeeming quality of our humid days with temps in the upper 90s. At least we have our tomatoes, right?
 
Now that summer is upon us, I wanted to officially welcome it with Tomato Pie. Next time I might even add a candle. ;)

I found this recipe in a cookbook that I bought at a local farmers market. I served ours with a side of sautéed squash and onions, but I think a small salad or any fresh vegetables would be perfect sides as well. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do!

///


Classic Southern Tomato Pie
{Deep South Dish cookbook}
 
3 medium-size tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 18 slices)
Kosher salt
2 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled, divided (save drippings) **I used 6 slices of bacon**
1 small Vidalia onion, quartered and sliced thin
3 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
1 (10-inch) deep-dish pie crust, partially baked, cooled
Black pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 cup regular mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes on paper towels. Salt, then cover with paper towels. Let rest 30 minutes.
 
Saute onion in bacon drippings until soft, not brown.
 
Put 1/2 cup mozzarella into pie crust. Top with 1/2 tomatoes. Season with pepper and garlic powder. Add 1/2 basil, top with 1/2 onions, and 1/2 bacon. Repeat layers.
 
Mix mayonnaise, hot sauce, parsley, and remaining 2 cups mozzarella; spread over top. Bake 40-45 minutes until light brown on top. Shield edges of pie crust with foil, if browning too quickly.
 
Cool pie before slicing. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.

///

Hope everyone has a great day. After a weekend at work and a LONG day yesterday (I got to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and didn't get home until 9:15 last night!), I'm going to be on the struggle bus express today. Hoping this coffee kicks in soon!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment