Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Summertime Activities for the Littles

Summer is fast approaching, so I thought I'd put together a list of some of the things my girls love to do during those few months. School is out; it gets hot as heck here, and the days can be long...so I really try to think of things that will be fun for all of us...

Below are a few things my girls enjoy, and I think your littles will too!

///

Oh how we love Kinetic Sand. Even I enjoy playing with it...it's kind of soothing in some weird way. I like that the texture is similar to sand, but it doesn't stick to your hands like sand. And clean-up is easy because it's more malleable. The girls like to combine the colors, and I just save it all in a big Tupperware container. Use cookie cutters, buckets, or sandcastle molds for even more fun.


///

We purchased this water table last year, and it was a hit. Just fill it up with water, and let the kids go. Add bath toys or water guns for even more fun.

Waterpark Play Table

///

I like this because it does my job for me! The girls can easily hold down the trigger, and it makes perfectly formed bubbles.

Bubble Gun

///

I remember making Shrinky Dinks when I was a little girl...and I promise you it's just as much fun now! We got a similar kit last summer and took it to the beach with us in case it rained. I want to purchase a few kits for this summer for those kind of days...or for when it's just too darn hot to go outside.

Shrinky Dinks

///

Lily got this book for Christmas, and she's had the best time with it. From simple to complex, the author teaches you how to make art with your fingerprints. It's easy enough for a little one to go through by herself.

FunPrint Drawing Book

///

You can pick up an ink pad at any craft store, but we have this one, and it's great. The colors are rich and don't dry out quickly.

Colorbox Inkpad

///

The cousin to Kinetic Sand, Kinetic Foam is our new favorite. It holds a shape a lot better than the sand, so it's great for building. 

Kinetic Foam

///

These water beads are so cool. They come in packets and look like tiny beads. Once you add water, they plump up in size and feel squishy. It's fun to watch them grow in water, and I promise you'll enjoy running your fingers through them. It's a great sensory craft.
 
 
///
 
Djeco makes some of the most beautiful crafts and puzzles for children. We have done several of their collages or craft kits, and they're always pretty enough for a frame afterwards. We have this particular collage kit, and Lily has spent hours working on it. Everything you need is included and is separated into little envelopes...the animals come "naked," and the child glues pre-cut shapes and patterns onto the body to complete each one.
 
 
///
 
This is another fun craft idea...kind of a make-your-own snow globe. It's easy to do with a little help from an adult, and the girls love it because they have something to play with afterwards. Lily still has a few on her dresser that we've made together.
 
 
///
 
A lot of the items I've featured are indoor crafts, but when the weather is nice, we do as much outside as we can. We'll set up in the grass or out on the driveway and bring things indoors when it's too hot (which is usually after 8 a.m. in the summer months in Mississippi!). What are some fun things y'all do in the summer with your little ones? I'd love to hear!
 
///
 
Hope everyone has a great day. I've got a few errands, and then I'm headed to a Mother's Day Tea at Lily's school. My heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment