Friday, May 13, 2016

Five on Friday

Just a random mishmash of 5 things on my mind this Friday...
 
ONE
 
I've had a hard time finding balance these days. I guess that's something all people (maybe especially mothers?) struggle with throughout their lives. I kind of feel like something's got to give, but I don't know what that ought to be. Right now I'm only working outside the home a few times a month (and only on the weekends), so I know those moms who balance motherhood and full-time careers have it much harder than I do. But I work hard to ensure that the time spent at home is meaningful. From laundry to cleaning (I'm the housekeeper), to carpooling and cooking, I also try really hard to be present with my girls. If I'm here with them, I want to truly be with them...to engage, to play, to do fun activities together. Then add on the things for me: time with God, exercise, trying new recipes, and now, blogging. And then there are the things I feel I need to do but don't yet do: volunteering, PTO, more play dates, writing opportunities, etc. Anyway, I completely realize these are mega first world problems...just wondering how others manage to achieve balance? Or is it something we never fully find?
 
///
 
TWO
 
Y'all, I cannot say enough good things about this Tee Dress from Old Navy. I tried it on in the store and brought home the red and white striped version (which isn't online). It's slightly fitted and has some spandex in it, which provides a nice fit. I sized up, only because my normal size made me look like I was headed to the club. It's such a cute dress to throw on for errands, dinner out, or even church! I love that you can dress it down with Converse sneakers or flip flops or dress it up with some cute sandals. And bonus, it's 40% off right now!

 
///
 
THREE
 
Lily's class had a Mother's Day Tea on Wednesday for all the moms. It was so thoughtful and sweet. They had punch and cake for us, and it was just so nice to be recognized. It was a really special time with my big girl. And I simply adore Lily's portrait of me and the way she answered the question, "My mom likes to...". She knows me well!
 


 
///
 
FOUR
 
It's almost officially bathing suit season which means one thing...fear. No, really...I should do this year-round, and I try to, but I especially add this to my routine during the summer/bathing suit months. And that's this: planks. Do y'all do planks? I swear, to me it's the quickest way to transform your body and to tone so many areas. Even after only doing them a few times I can notice a firmer tummy. If you don't know how to do them, a quick Google search will help you out.
 
 
And on the above note about trying to get my body bathing suit "ready," read the article below for some wonderful perspective.
 
"I refuse to let my insecurities press upon the minds of my children and teach them that, in twenty years, they should sit on the sidelines while life happens."
 
 
///
 
FIVE
 
I recently ordered this book of poems by Tyler Knott Gregson and have loved looking through it and reading a few at a time. He's a photographer turned poet, and he types his poems out on a typewriter, using found or old scraps of paper. His poems are simple yet poignant, and I can't wait to read more.
 
 
Here is my favorite so far:
 
 
///
 
I hope everyone has a happy weekend! I'm planning on planting some flowers and herbs, cleaning out our garage and taking some things to a consignment store, and keeping the nursery at church on Sunday. Hope to see y'all back here on Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment