Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Life Lately

Life has been full lately! Here's what we've been up to...
 
///
 
Hadley started speech therapy and just as soon as she started we've decided to suspend treatment. She is talking more and more on her own, and I really don't think she was getting much out of therapy. Our therapist even agreed that if she had been the one to do Hadley's speech evaluation she wouldn't have even said she qualified for therapy. Goodness. I'm all for early intervention, yet at the same time I think we need to learn to not rush children so much. Point taken.
 
///
 
We had dinner at Kristos last week and were able to sit outside on the patio and enjoy the incredible spring weather. Jackson-area friends, you really need to try Kristos...I had the falafel wrap and curly fries and was in Greek food heaven.

 
 ///
 
Lily had her 5-year-old appointment and immunizations earlier last week. Her check-up went great, and she handled her shots fairly well. We celebrated with ice cream afterwards. The absolute worst part of shots for her, seriously, is the Band-Aid. I know most kids love Band-Aids but not my Lily...because when it comes time to take them off, we have had to hold her down. No lie. So now the Band-Air fairy enters her room while she's sleeping and very carefully removes her Band-Aids so she doesn't wake up. Works like a charm every time.
 
///
 
I registered Lily for kindergarten and was surprised at how simple it was. And I was mainly surprised that I didn't cry. I don't think it's hit me yet. I, of course, am happy for this milestone...I have a happy, healthy child who is growing up and is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing! Yet at the same time, I worry for her (I know this isn't something unique)...this world can be so hard and cruel, and I just want my children to be happy and to feel loved. That is my prayer for her and for Hadley every day. But I am really eager to become a part of the public school system, and I'm excited to get involved.
 
///
 
I've almost felt like I've had a lobotomy the past week or so, with what's been going on in my state. I've had a hard time with it all and have felt a deep sadness over our governor signing house bill 1523 into law. Mississippi is so much better than that, and it just devastates me that some people believe it is a person's "religious (what religion are we referring to here?) right" to discriminate against a group of people. It disgusts me, and I'm just sad for everyone in the LGBT community...I also feel defeated, that once again my great state becomes the laughing stock of the country. And then of course I'm sad that my girls have to grow up in a world where such attitudes exist. This is not the Mississippi I know and love.



///

I worked this past Saturday, and it was a doozy. Don't think I've been that physically or emotionally drained in a long time. I was like a walking zombie on Sunday, but I'm thankfully back to new now. As long as I've been a floor nurse, it always takes me a good full day to recover from a shift. It's just tough.

///

I've been eyeing a pair of Vans for a while and finally pulled the trigger...they're so comfy, and I think super cute. If you have a narrow foot, I'd recommend sizing down. I tried my regular size first, and they were too wide. A size down was perfecto.

Vans Classic Slip-On

///

We've spent a lot of time outside lately...painting in the driveway and playing with kinetic foam make for a fun time.



///

It's my mom's birthday today! I'm so thankful for her and for the love and wisdom she's given me over the years. Happy Birthday, J! We love you...

I love picking out presents for people and one of my favorite things to give is a kind-of "favorite things" goodie bag. Here's what I chose for my mom's birthday gifts...


///

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Loft has the best sunglasses! If you're looking to try out a trend without breaking the bank, it's a great place to check out. I picked these sunnies up recently and have loved them...

Round Keyhole Sunglasses

///

That's all I've got...hope everyone has a happy day...



No comments:

Post a Comment