Monday, October 5, 2015

Weekend Update & Hadley's Birthday!

So nobody told me that when you turn 35 your body starts to go downhill...ha! I pulled my back on Friday and have been hobbling around all weekend. Other than that, it was a really good weekend here. Thankfully, fall has arrived, and we were able to spend a lot of time outdoors! Hadley turned 2 on Sunday, so our weekend was mainly all about celebrating her!

///

Rob was out of town Friday night, so my parents took the girls and me for Mexican. Mexican restaurants are my safe place with kids...they can be as loud and unruly as ever, and no one seems to notice and/or they blend in with the surroundings.

We broke out our matching cat leggings for the first time. They were a big hit.
 

We spent most of Saturday outside and picked up some mums and pumpkins for our front porch.







Saturday night we watched football, and Rob made one of his famous sausage cheese platters. I can eat my weight in a sausage cheese platter.

 
///
 
Confession: we don't do big birthday parties for the girls anymore. After Lily's second birthday (and second big party), I had an epiphany...the elaborate parties were more for me and the other adults than they were for her...and that wasn't how I wanted it. I put so much time and effort into making them Pinterest-perfect, and I stressed myself out so much that I never got to even enjoy the specialness of the day!

I have no doubt that my children feel loved...I have no doubt that they appreciate the homemade cake just as much as the gourmet one from the bakery (and let's be honest, Betty Crocker tastes better than fondant). I don't think they miss the pressed tablecloth, the handmade birthday banner, or the tea sandwiches with the crusts carefully cut off.

Now, we enjoy the day as a family. We ate hot dogs and tater tots for Hadley's birthday because those are her favorites. I made cupcakes from a box. Hadley opened her presents, and we made a big mess, and it was just a really, really good day. For me, this is just how it's supposed to be. (And I'm not knocking people who host magazine-worthy parties for their children. I have several friends who love party planning and who truly enjoy that kind of stuff...and I think that's great! It's just not my thing...and it brought me more stress than joy...and I'm learning in life that if something is more stressful and less joyful than it's probably not worth it.)

Below are some pictures from Hadley's special day! She has got to be the only 2-year-old on the planet who doesn't like cupcakes. Like screaming, get that thing away from me, meltdown if one comes near her. I learned my lesson, and next year she'll get a steak with candles.







The Peppa Pig dollhouse and Waterbabies baby doll were big hits...of course she preferred the box most of all. Christmas will be easy!





///

Tomorrow I'll be sharing lots of fun facts about Hadley as well as some of my favorite pictures of her from over the years. Hope everyone has a great Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment